What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Same Sensor ID

Votes:

Good day, Today i looked up again in my PRTG server and i faced that i have two different sensors with same name and same ID but with different Traffic. For instance :

• Sensor (009) TesT : - On Cisco # 1
  • Sensor (009) TesT : - On Cisco # 1

as you can see they are identical but they are on different ports with different traffic. So, i'm wondering how can i identify which sensors belongs to which port if i would have 3000 sensors ? It's bit confused for me, if you faced same problem please share your experience :) .

Thanks. ..

id prtg sensor

Created on Jun 21, 2016 5:15:45 AM

Last change on Jun 21, 2016 6:00:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Zimmer,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Could it be that you're confusing the Traffic Sensor's Index ( (009) ) with it's ID ?

The sensor's ID can be spotted within the sensor's overview and also un the browser URL while acessing the object. Please check the following as it explains how to identify/spot the sensor's ID(which is important when setting-up factory sensors).

If you have two Traffic Sensors with the same name, check the settings tab of the sensor, as you will be able to confirm the Interface Number in the sensor's settings. If those ALSO match, then the most likely cause for a different graph is a different scanning interval.

The names for the SNMP Traffic and SNMP RMON sensors follow the Port Name Template, which is by default:

([port]) [ifalias] [ifsensor]

You can change this within the SNMP Compatibility Settings of the parent Device, Group, Probe or Root.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 21, 2016 10:12:00 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 21, 2016 10:12:22 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.