What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Schedules and dependencies

Votes:

Goodmorning,

I'm trying to setup a better schedule for my sensors but I encountered some problem in understanding how the system of scheduling works. I've got a treemap similar to this:

- Region1 > R1_Server1 >> R1_S1_Sensor 1 >> R1_S1_Sensor 2 > R1_Server2 >>R1_S2_Sensor1

As everything else I thought that the scheduling system works that the lowest setting "wins" against the upper setting (as example: I can setup a domain user/password in Region1 and this is inheritate by all of the child items BUT if in R1_S1_Sensor2 I setup a different user/password this sensor will use this).

Instead I see that the scheduling system doesnt work so. I used a scheduling time of 08:00 - 18:00 in Region1 and in the R1_Server2 I used a 0-24 scheduling time.

This doesnt work cause when Region1 stops (at 18:01) even the R1_Server2 stops cause (as I can see) it depend by "his parent" (in the dependencies the "use parent" is selected).

So now I don't understand: how to setup that all sensors works from 08:00 to 18:00 BUT R1_Server2 works 0-24? I've to set the scheduling for each sensor individually?

child dependency parent prtg scheduling

Created on Jun 21, 2016 7:14:26 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Andrea,

The schedule setting will not disable the configured dependency of the device. If a sensor or device is paused because of a dependency, a schedule will not come out on top.

In this case, I'd recommend to remove the dependency and just use the schedule.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 21, 2016 11:42:23 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good afternoon,

How can I remove the dependency? In the device settings I've got two options: - "Use parent": the default value, it means that if the parent object is paused the child pauses; In my case this can't work because applying the 08:00-18:00 schedule to the root pause all the children; - "Select object": it allow to select from which device the current device will depend.

Is there a way to don't have dependency in scheduling?

The 90% of my sensors can have the 08:00-18:00 window time and only the 10% of sensors will use the 0-24 window time.

Thanks in advance!

Created on Jun 21, 2016 2:27:16 PM

Votes:

Hi Andrea,

The design of PRTG is to pause all objects on a lower level if one of the parent objects is paused. This will pause the objects regardless of the schedule or dependency settings.

If i.e. the root object is paused, every object below will also be paused, there is no way to turn this off. You need to remove the schedule on the highest element and order the device tree in a way, that you can set different schedules. This might look like this:

Root

- Schedule 08:00-18:00 
-- Object which needs to be monitored from 08:00-18:00 only

- Without a schedule, or with a 0-24 schedule
-- Object which needs to be monitored from 0-24

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 22, 2016 12:18:37 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Goodmorning,

My devices tree's structure is Country -> City -> Server and I can't modify this only cause scheduling doesn't work! There'snt another way to do this?

My problem is that in a single device I've got, for example, 14 sensors but only 1 of these need the 0-24 time, all the others can take the 8-18 time. If I can use the parent-child system I've to single assign the scheduling time, I hope that there's a better way to do this!

Created on Jun 27, 2016 9:40:58 AM

Last change on Jun 27, 2016 11:15:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I'm sorry, but that's the concept of the inheritance. It will require another group on the same level where the other schedule is configured so that the parent object for the 0 - 24 schedule will not be paused as well.

Best, Felix

Created on Jun 27, 2016 2:44:21 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good afternoon,

I changed my structure. Now I've got:

Country -> City -> Server -> Sensors VIP Sensors -> Devices -> Sensors

Country has 8-18 VIP Sensors has 0-24

It works.

Created on Jun 27, 2016 3:42:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.