What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does the system reboot without warning when updating PRTG?

Votes:

Occasionally when updating PRTG in the web interface the system will reboot. Without warning.

This is a very dangerous approach to software updating and system management in general. There was no dialog or question asking if and when to reboot. It just happens without letting the user know beforehand - or even after it's been done.

Is there any way to disable this? Could you please implement a feature to control it if not.

feature-request reboot restart

Created on Jun 21, 2016 9:54:07 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

The following warning-message is displayed on every new update, which has to be manually "accepted".:

Important

You're about to install version XXXX of PRTG

During the installation your monitoring services will be stopped for a few minutes and your server may be rebooted without prior notice.

Once started, the update process cannot be stopped. Existing Remote Probes will be updated subsequentially.

DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE?

Here's a screesnhot of the original message:

Click for Full-screen Image

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 21, 2016 11:39:29 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Oh I feel like a complete retard now. I don't understand how I missed that every single time. Does it always warn about the reboot even if a reboot won't be required for that particular update?

Created on Jun 21, 2016 12:44:08 PM

Votes:

Hello Ivan,
thank you for your reply.

Yes because at the time that you accept/proceed PRTG does not yet know whenever a reboot will be required. This is determined by the installer during the upgrade (based on which files are replaced/locked/updated). But we recommend preparing for the restart on every update, this way you'll be safe if it happens.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 21, 2016 1:03:17 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Ok, thanks for clearing this up. I guess I'm a little desensitized to those messages, and it has too small writing for me to notice :D

So here is a feature request from my end:

Instead of providing just two buttons with [Yes, install update now] and [No, do not install]... there should be a third button as well: [Yes, install update now and reboot if necessary]. The new button should be red or yellow, or some other warning color.

Created on Jun 21, 2016 4:14:04 PM

Votes:

Hello Ivan,
thank you for your input.

I will definitively let our interface team aware of your feedback, but I'm not able to confirm at this point whenever we'll be able to perform any changes.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 22, 2016 6:10:21 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.