What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Set sensor to warning for X intervals

Votes:

We have a SNMP CPU Load sensor on a critical server and all cores spiked to 100% at the moment that the sensor caught it. This immediately sent the Down notification to our ticketing system. Even though I have it set to:

Set sensor to warning for 1 interval, then set to down (recommended)

in the sensor settings. The scanning interval is 5 minutes. Logs show a trigger activated roughly a minute later. I would expect another check to fail after entry 1), then a trigger.

2) 6/19/2016 3:33:01 PM SNMP CPU Load Notification Info State Trigger activated (Sensor/Source/ID:54776/0/1)

1) 6/19/2016 3:31:57 PM SNMP CPU Load Down 100 % (Total) is above the error limit of 95 % in Total

cpu-load intervals notifications

Created on Jun 21, 2016 5:07:14 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Mike

If a sensor goes down by a limit, it will instantly go down. The setting you mention only considers sensor errors like a connection issue to the device.

PRTG has no setting to delay a down status triggered by a channel limit.

Created on Jun 22, 2016 1:44:27 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After sending my question in, I found the answer in the help documentation.

But I can't help but ask if this is the way it *should* be? CPU percentages are one of those metrics that can fluctuate wildly and sometimes need a wide berth to operate. Simply saying "If PRTG catches the CPU over 95% for even one check, that's critical." We're foregoing the Down condition in order to avoid this.

This is going to create a number of false alerts and increased workload on our level 1 and 2 support.

Created on Jun 22, 2016 4:17:18 PM

Votes:

Dear Mike

The notification trigger can be used in this case: Add a threshold notification and configure a delay (Above X for Y seconds.) This way the sensor status is not affected, but you can still get an email or an alert by other means to check the server CPU performance.

Created on Jun 23, 2016 8:47:35 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.