What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Router and link bandwidth

Votes:

hi

i have configured snmp on a cisco router and added it to PRTG , but prtg doesn't show the actual interface or link bandwidth of the router , for examps the interface 100mbps or the link speed 1 Mbps ,

how can i configure prtg to reflect these information in PRTG live graph ?

appreciate any help , thanks

bandwidth-monitoring interface link-speed

Created on Jun 26, 2016 3:03:27 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

This can be configured in the device settings under SNMP Compatability Options. Change the Port Name Template to include ifspeed and the estimated speed of the interface will be shown in the sensor name, which is also displayed in the live graph :)

Created on Jun 27, 2016 7:27:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks i will try that

Created on Jun 28, 2016 8:04:21 AM

Votes:

hi

i have tried adding ifspeed but it only changed the name of the interface to FastEthernet0/0 Traffic 100 MBit/s ,

it has is not reflected in the live graph its still shown as 0.00 to 1.00 kbps , how can i change this to show 100 Mbps in the live graph as well , please help , thanks

Created on Jul 1, 2016 4:06:10 AM

Votes:

Ah, so you want a line that reflects the interfaces speed. That's possible with the Sensor Factory sensor. Include the sensor's traffic channels and add another one:

#10:Bandwidth

This will add what you need to the graph. Please note that it's not possible to add this to the traffic sensor itself.

Created on Jul 1, 2016 7:35:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this scheduled for future development? Being able to put a bandwidth sensor alert on for when an interface exceeds a certain % is really useful.

Currently we would have to create individual alerts for every bandwidth sensor for each subinterface based on the bandwidth. This is something solarwinds does very easily for example as the "bandwidth" value is read from the interface and immediately the sensor knows what the maximum is. Alerting when it reaches for example 95% is on by default.

Created on Jul 21, 2016 1:52:25 PM

Votes:

Well you can create a library for each speed (100Mbit, 1GBit, 10GBit, etc.) that has the corresponding sensors in it (filtered by a tag - simply tag a gbit-switch or host with a tag ([1gbit],[10gbit], etc.) and then create a new node that filters for SNMP traffic sensors and the speed tag.

The notifications will then be applied to all traffic sensors, alerting on a interface speed basis.

Created on Jul 22, 2016 11:48:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.