What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

dont reveive mails during off hours

Votes:

Hello Pässler Team

Is it possible to observe all sensors but dont send notifications during certain hours?

If we configure maintanance windows during night, we dont have any data in this period. If we configure maintanance windows for emails, we get all the mails as soon as the maintenance window is over.

We'd like to get no notifications during night, but still have the data if we want to check if something was offline.

Thanks

mail maintenance-window notifications

Created on Jun 29, 2016 8:05:12 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Please have a look at scheduling :)

Created on Jun 30, 2016 8:04:43 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You didnt read my question correctly. I wrote:

"We'd like to get no notifications during night, but still have the data if we want to check if something was offline."

With your solution, there is no data during the maintenance period.

Created on Jun 30, 2016 8:38:10 AM

Votes:

Notifications can also have schedules :) So the notifications will be paused (i.e. won't trigger) according to the schedule. Make sure to take a look at the postpone option to avoid notifications that arise during the pause, if wanted.

Created on Jun 30, 2016 8:44:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello master Linke

You are right, that setting does exaclty what we asked for.

Postpone

Define if PRTG should send you notifications that were triggered during the Paused status 
later on, when the notification function is in Started status again.

No :  Discard all notifications that are triggered while the notification is paused.
    Yes : Collect all notifications that are triggered while the notification is paused. 
          Send out all these notifications once the Paused status ends.

Problem with this scenario:

We observe the internet connectivity of 40 locations. During night, there is maintenance work done by the ISP on 5 locations. 4 of them come back online bevore 06:00 oclock in the morning. We dont care for those locations during night and so its fine that we dont get notification. But if somone complains about high RTT, we are still able to check what happened during the night. Great so far. But one location is still offline at 06:00 o'clock. We dont get any notification for that is assume... Is there a solution for that as well?

Created on Jun 30, 2016 9:04:40 AM

Votes:

Given that the schedule is set for 04:00 to 06:00, the down notifications will be fired after 6am. It's rather difficult since you probably don't know how long the actual maintenance takes, right?

Created on Jun 30, 2016 10:05:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The schedule is set from 00:00 to 06:00 and maintenance work by the ISP is finished until 05:00 o'clock. So if the ISP is within their timeline, we never see an alarm. But if they overstep because there is a problem and a line is still offline at 06:00 o'clock, we dont get a notification with this solution. How can we avoid this?

Created on Jun 30, 2016 12:19:45 PM

Votes:

Simplest solution would be to set the schedule only until 5:00 - since that is actually when your line has to be available again. Or am I missing something? :)

Created on Jun 30, 2016 12:23:00 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, i think we arent talking about the same thing here. I will explain it with an example

00:00 Mainenance window starts
01:00 Location A goes offline (no email sent)
02:00 Location B goes offline (no email sent)
05:00 Location A comes back online again (no email sent)
06:00 Mainenance window finished
08:00 Location B comes back online again (email sent)

In this example, there is no notification for location A at all. This is great because we dont want to get informed if everything is up and running until 06:00 o'clock again. But for location B we dont get any notification at 06:01 that it is still offline. Either a user tells us, or we know by the notification at 08:00 o'clock that something was wrong. Hope this clarifies the issue were having.

Created on Jun 30, 2016 1:16:15 PM

Votes:

Ah, now I see what you mean. Then you'll have to enable postponing in the notification settings - this will cause the collected notifications (during it's pause) to be sent after the schedule is over. It's either this or use a notification that is repeated every 5 minutes (disable postpone then).

Created on Jun 30, 2016 1:57:18 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.