What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog reciever sensor message format

Votes:

Hi,

we started using syslog reciever sensor, but I still dont know right message format. Could someone please give an example how the syslog message should look like to fill all columns (even "tag" and "data")?

Thank you, Viktor

message prtg syslog-sensor

Created on Jul 1, 2016 12:58:13 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It seems like the device you're using is not fully compliant to RFC5424 which would indicate why it doesn't get sorted properly.

Created on Jul 7, 2016 10:57:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

As of right now, the tag should arrive within the message field. Data however stays empty. I'm not sure why it's not sorted, I'll ask the developer. In the meantime, please use the message field to filter for the corresponding tags.

Created on Jul 5, 2016 1:25:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It seems like the device you're using is not fully compliant to RFC5424 which would indicate why it doesn't get sorted properly.

Created on Jul 7, 2016 10:57:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thank you. We have altered the syslog output according to RFC5424 standard and I am now able to get most of things to proper columns, I still dont get how to fill the column "data", but I can live with it. :)

Created on Jul 18, 2016 11:54:48 AM

Votes:

Alright, nice :)

Created on Jul 18, 2016 11:59:04 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.