What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can i monitor whether a specific .bat file is running or not using PRTG?

Votes:

in my application there is a .bat file that is running. I want to monitor it and i want know when it stops running? is this possible? How i can achieve this?

-bat monitoring prtg

Created on Jul 4, 2016 1:01:57 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Thiwanka

As PRTG is no realtime monitor, you can only scan at regular intervals if a process is running or not. PRTG however can only do that for exe processes, not for a bat.

It is not easy to see if a particular bat is running. What actually is running, is the cmd.exe process. But you cannot easily check which bat file it processes.

Created on Jul 4, 2016 11:49:09 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank a lot for the reply. Can you please describe step by step process how to monitor whether exe process is running or not? regular intervals will be ok.

Created on Jul 5, 2016 12:49:02 AM

Votes:

Dear Thiwanka

To monitor a process (again, this cannot discern individual bat files, just exe processes) please create a Windows process sensor on a PRTG device for which you already entered its Windows login credentials. The sensor creation dialogue allows you to enter a process name. That corresponds to the exe file name however without the ".exe" suffix.

Created on Jul 5, 2016 8:39:34 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Thiwanka,

As a workaround you can alter the .bat file to create a dummy file when it starts and delete the dummy file when it has finished. Next you can have PRTG check the existence of the dummy file.

See: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/6973-how-can-i-alarm-with-prtg-if-a-certain-file-is-existing-otherwise-sensor-should-be-green

Created on Jul 5, 2016 9:35:49 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.