What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I am unable to see the complete message field

Votes:

I have configured a syslog server in PRTG. The Message field has a lot of information which is only partially visible. Is there any way to see the complete information in the message or to make that field bigger. Please help out.

Thank you Azim

cisco-wlc message prtg

Created on Jul 4, 2016 9:48:45 AM

13 Replies

Votes:

Can anyone please respond as its frustrating because I know the information is present in the MESSAGE field but because I cannot expand it I cannot see the information. Why can we not enlarge the MESSAGE field by just dragging it. Why has this feature not implemented? Thank you.

Created on Jul 5, 2016 6:45:20 AM

Votes:

How long is the actual message? Is it shown in full length when you're inspecting it via browser?

Created on Jul 5, 2016 11:14:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am using the default browser and I have configure a syslog server in PRTG for our Cisco WLC. When I click on the syslog server I see a lot of fields starting with NAME/DATE, Source, Message, Hostname, Timestamp, severity etc. The message field is what I am interested in. The field has a lot of information and I feel it is not displaying the entire information as I am interested in the Mac address which seems to be getting cut off. I just want to be able to see the entire field. Is there any way to expand the MESSAGE field?

Created on Jul 5, 2016 12:55:42 PM

Votes:

I need to know how long the actual message is (or at least what you see) ... could you put it on pastebin or something like that? As of right now, there's no way of expanding the window.

Created on Jul 5, 2016 1:38:04 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Stephan. Is there any way to copy the screen shot over here?

Created on Jul 8, 2016 10:08:45 AM

Votes:

Also, this is what I see in the message field. I see a lot of these message. I am just copying from one field.

Cisco WLAN CONTROLLER: *sisfSwitcherTask: Jul 07 18:13:49.599: #SISF-6-ENTRY_DELETED:sisf_shim_utils.c:483 Entry deleted A=fe80:7c0f:856e:aa63:1905 V=0 I=wired:1 P=0000 M=

So as you see after M= there should be the MAC address of the device for which it is collecting the information.

I have configured a syslog server for a Cisco WLC which is handing out IP address using DHCP so I need to be able to record all the MAC address that were allocated an IP address by the CISCO WLC.

Regards Azim

Created on Jul 8, 2016 10:15:32 AM

Votes:

You can post screenshots using imgur.com and

{{<url>|<title>}}

Once a screenshot is provided, we can probably tell more.

Created on Jul 8, 2016 10:18:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please check the link http://imgur.com/HpCAL6k

Under Post Options -- Download Image

Created on Jul 8, 2016 10:25:30 AM

Votes:

Can you check with wireshark if the message indeed does contain a mac address? Because it should be there...

Created on Jul 8, 2016 10:47:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you check with wireshark if the message indeed does contain a mac address? Because it should be there...

Sorry, how can I use wireshark to check that particular message? Does Wireshark do live monitoring. Thank you for helping us out.

Created on Jul 8, 2016 11:11:18 AM

Last change on Jul 8, 2016 11:11:18 AM

Votes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5TwvGXHP0 - Simply start the capture, let the cisco drop some messages and filter for host <ip-of-your-cisco-appliance> :)

Created on Jul 8, 2016 12:24:22 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did and in 10 mins it captured like 3000 packets for that particular IP. And it does not have time stamp unless you look into individual packets. PRTG makes it easy to see the information however the message field is not displaying the complete information. I would like to be able to do that. Please let us know how can we do that. Thank you.

Created on Jul 8, 2016 12:37:41 PM

Votes:

you can also add udp.port==514 as a filter, so you'll just see the syslog messages. From what I can tell, the message is simply cut off there...

Created on Jul 8, 2016 12:48:46 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.