What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Windows Server Backup

Votes:

Hi, I have been reading some posts about monitoring Windows Server Backup and as far as I got no one had a working solution (or at least not suitable for me).

Is there anyone who got this to work without having to go through too much trouble? I think I found some sort of solution myself after looking around at different ideas here, but it requires a creation of an task in task scheduler on every server wich seems like a bit of work if you have around 200 of them (not in the same domain).

My solution was: 1. Create a task in task scheduler that looks for event ID's (5,8,9,17,22,49,50,52,100,517,518,521,527,528,544,545,546,561,564,612) in the backup-operational event log. 2. Make the task create a event in Application event log named "WS BACKUP MONITORING". 3. Create a Event log sensor that will be considered Down when it finds the above event.

This is the basic idea, there are some more issues with this.

My question is, does anyone have a way of monitoring Windows Server Backup with only the configuration of a sensor - not any configuration on the server it self? :)

backup backup-monitoring event-log eventlog

Created on Jul 8, 2016 2:08:43 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
There is no native sensor in PRTG to monitor Windows Backups, however you might have a look at this thread where this topic is discussed as well.
Best regards

Created on Jul 11, 2016 11:21:21 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your tips!

I will try your script when i get back from my vacation Liceo.

Can i set alarms/limits somehow when using this script?

Created on Jul 25, 2016 7:32:48 AM

Votes:

You could try Heath Trengove's powershell sensor from GitHub: https://github.com/htrengove/PRTGwindowsbackup/

Thanks, Heath!

Created on Nov 2, 2016 4:00:29 PM by  Kimberley Trommler [Paessler Support] (7) 3

Votes:

Hi i could not get this one to work.

You could try Heath Trengove's powershell sensor from GitHub: https://github.com/htrengove/PRTGwindowsbackup/

Thanks, Heath!

It comes up with Unauthorized

Any ideas?

Thanks Andy

Created on Oct 24, 2019 12:56:40 PM

Votes:

Sorry, this is really old and may not work anymore (without modifying the script itself). Are the credentials configured in the parent device indeed correct?

Created on Oct 25, 2019 10:25:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.