What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can anyone tell me API format for using /a[i/objectmove.htm

Votes:

I am trying to create a script to move objects from a base group to a sub group. My objects have the name of the sub group in the name field so I can logically locate the group ID to move them to. I see that I can duplicate an object to that new group but that would mean I have to go back and remove all the existing objects. I would like to be able to call the API, pass the object id and the new group ID and move the object, which is a device, in that fashion. I noticed that there is a moveobject.htm file in the API directory but there is no documentation on how to pass parameters to this object. IN fact, there is relatively little documentation, other than how to search for objects, on how to change, move, or deal directly with various objects.

api device-tree web-api

Created on Jul 12, 2016 1:04:44 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ha, after a bit of digging: http://<your-prtg>/moveobjectnow.htm?id=<object-id>&targetid=<id-of-target-folder> :)

Created on Jul 13, 2016 6:56:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

It's not possible to move objects between groups. They can only be moved up and down within their current group.

Created on Jul 12, 2016 1:46:19 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This seems to be a basic API function. Why would this not be included? The problem we have, and I am sure based on other comments , is it is a very time consuming process to reclassify objects within the GUI. If we already know the group ID we want to move to, and the object ID we want to move, why can't we issue a simple API command in a script to make it happen. This is a huge shortcoming in the product. Why would you have a moveobject.htm file in the API directory that does nothing. For that matter, why all the other files in the API directory that are just like it that do nothing? Is there a plan to implement this set of API's? If so, when? I have over 500 objects for move to a better group because there is no capability to regex or string manipulate the object names on email output so that my CMDB and ticketing tools scan assign an incident to the prpoer device.

In a nutshell, I need the ability to move devices into groups that they are not already in or the capability to grep or regex the output to an email alert. Without these basic funstions the product just does not meet enterprise monitoring needs.

Created on Jul 12, 2016 2:36:29 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Ha, after a bit of digging: http://<your-prtg>/moveobjectnow.htm?id=<object-id>&targetid=<id-of-target-folder> :)

Created on Jul 13, 2016 6:56:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.