What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor HTTP - ECP Health Check

Votes:

We have two of six Exchange 2013 servers who suddenly came up with the following error message:

Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 1] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 2] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 3] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 4] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Unsecure] IOHandler value is not valid"

Please advice what to do to resolve this.

check ecp exchange health

Created on Jul 14, 2016 6:22:54 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

I also suddenly got the "IOHandler value is invalid" message a few days ago on a HTTP sensor that had been working for ages, though not with the "Reset by peer" text you had.

In my case the webserver had an invalid SSL certificate, so I figured that was the reason and just deleted the sensor. (see error message below)

Now I tried it again using the HTTP Full Web Page Sensor. At first it just said "Sensor Timeout reached", I guess because the SSL certificate is fubar. But when I changed the Browser Engine in PRTG to "Internet Explorer", it suddenly gave me an OK response. So, the Browser Engine used by PRTG clearly has impact here.

Try monitoring using HTTP Full Web Page sensor using either "Chromium" or "Internet Explorer" as browser engine, in the Sensor Settings.

If you still get "Connection Reset by Peer", I suspect this is caused by the Exchange webserver. I would install Wireshark on the PRTG server and monitor the HTTP traffic. (using a filter like "host a.b.c.d" If you see the Exchange server sending a RST or FIN packet early on, this means the peer (Exchange server) has indeed reset the connection (RST=Reset).

Error message: Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14082174:SSL routines:SSL3_CHECK_CERT_AND_ALGORITHM:dh key too small [Step 1] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14082174:SSL routines:SSL3_CHECK_CERT_AND_ALGORITHM:dh key too small [Step 2] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14082174:SSL routines:SSL3_CHECK_CERT_AND_ALGORITHM:dh key too small [Step 3] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14082174:SSL routines:SSL3_CHECK_CERT_AND_ALGORITHM:dh key too small [Step 4] Error connecting with SSL. Error connecting with SSL. error:14077102:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsupported protocol [Unsecure] IOHandler value is not valid

Created on Jul 15, 2016 8:21:40 AM

Votes:

Hello,

We will need some more information from your PRTG (log files and screenshots). Please open a support ticket so we will continue troubleshooting there. Please refer to this KB article in the ticket.

Thank you

Created on Jul 15, 2016 9:02:58 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.