What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification: executing a program

Votes:

Goodmorning,

I'm trying to let PRTG call through Skype but I'm having a strange behaviour.
I tried two kind of call:

• A BAT file with this instruction:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /callto:nickname}}}
  • A BAT file that call a C# program that call the instruction:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /callto:nickname}}}

Each bat if launched by doubleclick works (start Skype and start a call to "nickname") but if I create a notification with "Execute program" it doesn't work.

I logged and see that the notification successfully start

Call Skype Andrea	Notification Info	
Status sending EXE:Ok (Sensor/Source/ID: 2853/2853/3)

Why this doesn't work?

execute-program notifications prtg

Created on Jul 14, 2016 12:29:58 PM

Last change on Jul 14, 2016 6:52:19 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear AndreaM

Please go to Logs | System Events | Notifications. Which error message are you getting for this notification?

Created on Jul 18, 2016 1:55:50 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good afternoon,

it doesn't show any error as I wrote in my previous post it only report this: 14/07/2016 14:19:43 None Notification Call Skype Andrea Notification Info Status sending EXE:Ok (Sensor/Source/ID: 2853/2853/3

Created on Jul 18, 2016 3:20:24 PM

Votes:

Dear AndreaM

Right.

PRTG runs a service without having a GUI context. That means it cannot start an application which interacts with the desktop. Please look if there is a commandline tool to generate a Skype call. Interactive / GUI applications cannot be started.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 1:08:44 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good afternoon,

there's a command, usable in command line, to launch a Skype call: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /callto:nickname

I also tried put this command in a BAT but PRTG launch the BAT (logging the "OK") but nothing happens.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 1:33:08 PM

Votes:

Dear AndreaM

I assume this is the default Skype.exe, meaning a GUI application. Those cannot be started from a service which runs without a GUI context. Doing it indirectly via a bat file doesn't help, I am sorry. Only commandline-only tools can be run.

For example, a (though complicated) solution would be to use the Windows scheduler. Use a script to configure a schedule to run Skype.exe once. Since the actual application then is started via the scheduler, not by the PRTG core service, it should work.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 2:21:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 19, 2016 2:23:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It could be great if we can launch even GUI applications. A voice notification with Skype would be awesome!

Created on Jul 19, 2016 2:24:41 PM

Votes:

Dear AndreaM

That would be nice, but there are some reasons why we don't offer it. The main reasons is that a Windows service with no GUI context takes less resources.

PRTG comes with an array of notification options, including HTTP POST, SMS, Push Notification and of course E-Mail. All these notifications are under tight control by PRTG. Allowing to start just any application can cause stability issues in some cases.

As a workaround in your case you could try to create a system which plays a particular sound when an email with a particular subject arrives. That is not easy to set up, but it would work with the notification options provided by PRTG.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 2:33:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.