What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory Integration - New Computers?

Votes:

Can PRTG sync with Active Directory to automatically add new computers? For instance, A new computer is added into the Workstations Organizational Unit. PRTG scans\syncs with that OU, discovers the new computer account, adds it in to the linked PRTG Device Group and starts adds the sensors from the template.

Thanks!

groups ldap prtg

Created on Jul 15, 2016 12:42:11 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

You can configure the workstations OU in an autodiscovery group, yes. See the manual entry, specifically "Organizational Unit". Device Templates are described here.

Let me know if you need further help!

Created on Jul 19, 2016 10:28:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Stephan! Can I configure existing groups to be an autodiscovery group?

Created on Jul 19, 2016 11:51:48 AM

Votes:

Sure thing, right click the group > edit > settings and set Group Type to the preffered option and select the last option in the "IP Selection Method" :)

Created on Jul 19, 2016 12:22:07 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Doh! Right you are! So when I try adding it to an existing group it thinks about it and then closes. If I recheck it, its back on Manual. If I try to create a new auto-discovery group I get "Active Directory cannot be access for "IP Selection" (Auto discovery setting). This object was not created.

Active directory does seem to be setup, I was able to setup Login rights for my AD account. I am using the FQDN of the OU, example (company named replaced with Contoso):

"OU=Chicago,OU=Windows7 Workstations,OU=Workstations,DC=contoso,DC=com"

Sensor Mangement: Automatic sensor using template Discovery schedule: weekly IP Selection Method: Use computers from active directory (pasted in line above, including quotes) Name Resolution: use DNS names Device rescan: skip auto-discovery for known devices\ips Rest of settings are inheriting from parent.

Thoughts?

Created on Jul 19, 2016 12:48:23 PM

Votes:

The OU string seems right, did you add administrative credentials under Active Directory integration on <your-prtg>/systemsetup.htm?tabid=4 ?

Created on Jul 20, 2016 5:36:42 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The domain info is filled in and currently using the System account on the server. The server it is installed on is a DC and PRTG appears to be able to query AD groups just fine.

Created on Jul 20, 2016 11:57:12 AM

Votes:

Strange - did you trigger the autodiscovery manually?

Created on Jul 20, 2016 1:52:21 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have triggered auto-discovery (with template) on a few workstations in other groups, but in the group in question no. I've also tried creating brand new Groups and receive the same error when trying to setup the Autodiscovery by AD. Whether its an autodiscovery group, or just a new empty group and then trying to setup Auto-discovery by AD after its creation. As far as I know there are no auto-discoveries configured right now.

Created on Jul 20, 2016 2:02:39 PM

Votes:

Is your PRTG available from the outside? If so, you can post them here, it won't be published. Then I can take a look at it directly.

Created on Jul 21, 2016 1:41:35 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm honestly not sure, would it be better if we scheduled a phone call at this point?

Created on Jul 22, 2016 1:31:29 PM

Votes:

Please open up a support request with [email protected], referring to this thread in order to schedule this. Thanks! :)

Created on Jul 25, 2016 6:28:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.