What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I thought I had switched to 64-bit PRTG, but no

Votes:

Discovered today that I have been running 32-bit version of PRTG ever since I moved it to a 64-bit Windows Server 2012 R2 server and reinstalled it there.

I read in another thread that the installer actually installs a 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS if there is less than 6GB ram. Seems rather silly to use such a criteria for deciding to install 32/64bit, I was sure I was installing the 64-bit version. RAM is not an issue here, I can always give the virtual machine more RAM if that's necessary.

My installation has around 1500 sensors. Around 500 are WMI sensors, and I had hoped to reduce the number of crashes and pending tasks by moving to 64-bit. (right now the server is using 1.8 of 4.0GB RAM so it doesn't seem to be an issue)

So how do I fix this? Can I just increase RAM above 6GB, stop the services and reinstall(repair) using the 32/64-bit installer, trusting that it will keep the database and other settings intact? OR do I have to reinstall on a fresh server, manually moving the database?

32bit-to-64-bit 64-bit installation probe

Created on Jul 18, 2016 7:22:07 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Simply run the installer again once the machine has at least 6 GB RAM. This will also take care of stopping the services. Everything will be kept as is. What will change is the executable being used for PRTG's Core service. The current 32bit version will be un-registered and instead the 64bit version located in a different folder will be registered. Check the properties of PRTG Core Server Service in Windows' services before and after re-reunning the installer and you will see that the path of the service will be slightly different pointing to a 64bit subfolder inside your installation where the 64bit server exe is located.

For re-running the installer, see folder [install_destination]\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 18, 2016 8:06:41 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you.

However, I can't find a link to a non-trial installer anywhere on the website including my account page, I can only find PRTG Network Monitor 16.3.24.4979 Setup Freeware and Trial (Stable).exe.

The newest file I have locally is from 2012.

Where can I find the installer?

Created on Jul 18, 2016 10:47:02 AM

Votes:

Nevermind, I found the installer in the folder you mentioned, once I actually read your post. You can delete the previous comment.

Created on Jul 18, 2016 10:57:06 AM

Votes:

You can only download the installer from the shop or via auto update if you have an ongoing maintenance. If that is not the case, neither will work. If your PRTG version matches the one from the installer, simply re-install it. If not, drop a mail to [email protected], they'll take care of you :)

Created on Jul 18, 2016 10:57:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I think there were some problems when we switched resellers that causes me to not see the installer.

ANYWAY: I ran the "PRTG Installer (Currently installed version).exe after I had increased RAM to 8GB.

Now I'm running 64-bit PRTG. Thank you very much!

Created on Jul 18, 2016 11:02:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.