What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Group mapped to AD group doesn't contain members

Votes:

I have created a group mapped to an AD group. Within AD, that group contains members directly in it (no nested groups). When I look at the Group in PRTG, it has no members. We are trying to use this group for alerting. Authentication based on this group works, so PRTG does see the AD members of the group in that sense. A screenshot of what I am talking about is here: https://imgur.com/YmcB6XG

active-directory active-directory-group notifications

Created on Jul 18, 2016 3:17:45 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

When creating an AD user group, the users are not being "pulled" into PRTG. They will be created as soon as they log in successfully for the first time. So when trying to create a notification that addresses this group, it will only reach the users that are currently contained in this group after having logged in one time successfully, there is no way around that. So in the end it's either informing the people you need there to please log in one time with their AD credentials in PRTG or I'm afraid it's putting the mailadresses manually into the notification.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 11:58:41 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just checked, there must have been some sort of mapping/checking for updates to AD groups process that happened overnight (or on the restart of PRTG, it was restarted yesterday afternoon).

2 of the 4 users in the AD group are now showing up as members of the PRTG group. There is 1 user that still is not mapped from the AD group to the PRTG group that has a PRTG account and previously logged in. This seems odd that only 2 people got matched and not all of them.

Created on Jul 19, 2016 3:40:12 PM

Votes:

If those users are now shown in the AD group in PRTG, then it would mean they have logged in with their AD credentials. If not, then these are most likely users that have been created manually in PRTG by an admin user.

One thing to be aware: If you manually create an identical username in PRTG (no matter in which group) that also exists in AD with a different password, the user will not be able to login using the AD password.

For further assistance it might be helpful if you could provide screenshots showing the configured AD-based user group and another one showing the overview of all user groups. Furthermore a Support Bundle would be helpful to check for authentication-related events and errors. When sending the Support Bundle, make sure to enter PAE731941 as ticket id, so it will be appointed to me.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 20, 2016 6:57:43 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.