What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependancies- What am I Missing?

Votes:

Hello

I am hitting a bit of a wall in setting up dependancies of the devices on our network, but think the feature I require must be possible, I’m just going about it the wrong way:

I’m trying to set up the system so that if the ping sensor on a core switch alarms, all the sensors of the edge switches that are connected to that core switch pause (as they are dependant on that core switch) but also have it so that if the ping of an individual switch alarms, it pauses the rest of the sensors on the switch. I assumed that setting the dependancy of the Ping sensor on the Edge switch to be the Ping sensor on the core switch and then setting ping to be the master sensor on both switches would achieve this. Instead, when I set Ping to be the Master sensor, it overwrites the dependancy of the other switch’s Ping.

Surely this is how dependancies should work and this is how everyone sets up their dependancies? I’m sure I’m missing some basic function.

Thank you for your help.

core-switch dependancies edge-switch ping

Created on Jul 19, 2016 9:58:02 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

About pausing all sensors for one single device: Set this dependency in Settings tab of the Ping Sensor (section Schedules, Dependencies and Maintenance Window | Dependency Type set it to Master Object for Parent). If this Ping fails, it will pause all sensors on this particular device.

Now about pausing all Edge switches when Core switch goes down: It can be done, but the Core Switch needs to be in a different device group and the Edge switches should be gathered in one group. As soon as the Core switch is in another group, you can go to Settings tab of the group containing all Edge Switches and set there a dependency on the Ping Sensor of the Core switch in that other group. So you basically scroll down in Settings tab of the Edge device group to section Schedules, Dependencies and Maintenance Window | Dependency Type, then Select Object and make it point to the Ping of that Core switch.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 21, 2016 10:39:15 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.