What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Alarms based on threshold

Votes:

Dear Team, i am new to PRTG and i have just installed it and I try to play with it.

I have read the guide but I don't see how to set up an alarm based on a bandwidth utilisation threshold using snmp. I have found the notification but nothing around the alarms.

I have added a cisco router using snmp, I have selected the interfaces, the QoS and the ip sla.

Could someone help me to configure an alarm based on a threshold ?

I also would need to do the same with CPU, Memory. Thanks Gilles

alarm snmp threshold

Created on Jul 21, 2016 10:03:56 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

These values can be set in the limits configuration in the channels of the sensors.

PRTG Manual: Sensor Channels Settings

You can also configure notifications limits on the sensors.

PRTG Manual: Sensor Notifications Settings

Zarate Max.

Created on Jul 25, 2016 1:36:00 PM

Last change on Jul 26, 2016 8:42:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello gilles and thank you for the input Zarate Max.

Zarate is correct, in most cases limits are defined directly in the channel's settings, in some cases (for instance the WMI Multi-Disk sensor which has dynamic channels) has a limit definition within the Sensor's settings.

Notifications are independent from alarms, you can have notifications sent even when a sensor is still in the "OK" Status. The sensor's status (aka Alarms) are controlled by Lookups, Limits or internally, somethimes specific sensor settings can also be used for alerting (e.g. Search for keyword in content).

See also the Paessler website: How to set up notifications via the PRTG web interface.

In some cases (when monitoring a State and not a result value) you may also want to consider using Lookups for alerting:

As for notifications (if you intend to use them) we recommend always using State-based triggers in your notifications (when possible), this way the sensor's status in the interface will always match the state in the corresponding notification.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 26, 2016 8:48:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 12:10:23 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.