What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issue with ZyWall 110 Traffic Monitor

Votes:

Hi,

I am running PRTG 16.2.25.4709 and have a ZyWall 110 set up with the latest firmware (4.15(AAAA.2)) and am attempting to use SNMP v2c to monitor interface traffic. I have a variety of devices (HP Procurve, Netgear smart managed switches) on the target network, and they provide a decent set of data for traffic monitoring and analysis. The results from the ZyWall seem to be a constant "flatline" indicating zero traffic (although somehow max values exist).

I've used the SNMP tool (I tried to compare the output from the Procurve to the output from the ZyWall - I didn't parse anything significant but I am not an SNMP expert) , and attempted a number of things based on internet research to trigger this interface traffic monitoring. I've removed/re-added, tried using v3, restarted PRTG, looked for updates to PRTG, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

snmp snmp-traffic zyxel

Created on Jul 21, 2016 1:12:37 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Looks like it has been addressed in the latest firmware. It seems better but not totally accurate still.

[BUG FIX] eITS#160200401, 160200399
SNMP port traffic does not work correctly [Condition] The customer use the network management software named PRTG (based on SNMP) and the port traffic doesn't work correctly. The software will query SNMP to device every 60 seconds; however device will responds there is no traffic but will show the correct value after 5 minutes.

Created on Aug 30, 2016 2:09:49 PM

Last change on Aug 31, 2016 6:43:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi Kevin,

Did you add the SNMP Traffic Sensor to the device? Please use the SNMP Tester again to perform the "Scan Interfaces" query. Can you please forward the results so that we can check if there is any traffic?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jul 22, 2016 1:39:26 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yes the traffic sensor is added. Here is results of SNMP tester / scan interfaces. Than you!

http://pastebin.com/kKG836TH

Created on Jul 22, 2016 1:45:34 PM

Last change on Jul 26, 2016 5:29:44 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

The walk seems to be incomplete. Could you upload it to something like pastebin.com? Maybe it has been cut off.

Created on Jul 25, 2016 11:39:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Not sure if my edit, attempting to clean things up, made things messier, but here you go:

http://pastebin.com/kKG836TH

Thanks!

Created on Jul 25, 2016 3:19:58 PM

Votes:

No luck unfortunately :( The device simply doesn't expose any valuable OIDs which are necessary in order for the sensor to work properly. You may want to raise a call with ZyXEL about this.
Or something about the device configuration is still off, maybe the permissions are still wrong.

Created on Jul 26, 2016 8:17:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 26, 2016 8:19:42 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Looks like it has been addressed in the latest firmware. It seems better but not totally accurate still.

[BUG FIX] eITS#160200401, 160200399
SNMP port traffic does not work correctly [Condition] The customer use the network management software named PRTG (based on SNMP) and the port traffic doesn't work correctly. The software will query SNMP to device every 60 seconds; however device will responds there is no traffic but will show the correct value after 5 minutes.

Created on Aug 30, 2016 2:09:49 PM

Last change on Aug 31, 2016 6:43:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Cool, thanks for the heads up! :)

Created on Aug 31, 2016 6:43:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.