What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change WMI Volume Sensor Default

Votes:

I want to change the WMI Volume Sensor primary Channel to "Free Bytes" per default for every existing and new sensors. Is it possible?

channel channel-settings default volume wmi-volume

Created on Jul 22, 2016 12:29:49 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I afraid that it is not possible to change the primary channels in multiple, already existing sensors at the same time, nor to set it for future sensors, sorry.

Best regards

Created on Jul 25, 2016 12:17:59 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Isidora,

is it possible to change the default for new sensors? So every new sensor will have "Free Bytes" as default? And is it possible to set default limits for new created channels?

Created on Jul 25, 2016 3:21:43 PM

Votes:

Hello there,

You can do this by creating a device-template based on device having a WMI Volume Sensor configured as you like it. When using this template to create another device and apply this template, it will create WMI Volume Sensors with the same channel as primary and the limits you configured there.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 26, 2016 2:05:47 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't think it's possible since the WMI Volume Sensor is excluded from device-templates.

Created on Jul 26, 2016 2:36:53 PM

Votes:

Ah, now you got me :) However I had success creating a template with the sensor in it....I'll see to it, it is possible that documentation needs to be updated.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 27, 2016 1:43:46 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

@tsebast: Sorry, my bad, by mistake I chose the wrong sensor when creating the template, so you and the manual are right, this sensor does not work with template, so there's no way to change those defaults. Sorry again for the confusion.

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 28, 2016 10:50:56 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Erhard. Can you give me a hint why it's not possible - and not planned - to change defaults for channels and limits? Would be a huge relief!

Created on Jul 28, 2016 12:02:07 PM

Votes:

You're welcome. Thing is on one hand it's a UI issue, since there are a lot of different sensor types, each one would need its own "customizing interface", because channels can differ hugely between sensor types and it wouldn't make sense to implement such a customizing ability only for a selected few, it's either all or none.

What will probably make more sense would be improving "mechanisms" that are already in place like Multi-Edit and usage of device templates to provide more flexibility in the future, though complexity is an issue here, depending on the sensor type. It's currently not something we put a priority on. In the end it's all about resources and we have to plan very carefully on which topics our precious developers are putting their focus on :)

Kind regards.

Created on Jul 29, 2016 10:56:41 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.