What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PowerShell script running on remote server

Votes:

Hello. I have one quite simple PowerShell script which I need to run on a remote server to monitor some WMI objects. This server and PRTG probe are in the same domain. When I execute the script from PowerShell environment manually everything is ok. But when I run it through PRTG (EXE/Script sensor type) it doesn't work.

Finally I found out that the problem might be in credentials for the script. I've thought that it should use Windows credentials inherited from the device settings (I have a special PRTG domain user). But in fact the user is like PRTGServer$. Also I see in remote server events log that this server doesn't receive computer name from the PRTG probe. I think that everything would be ok with my standard PRTG user. What can I do to run this script using this credentials?

Thank you.

exe-script-sensor powershell remote-powershell

Created on Jul 26, 2016 8:31:32 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear ase

The PRTG probe is a 32 bit application and runs the 32 bit powershell. If you set the sensor setting "security context" to the parent device's Windows credentials, the powershell should be started as that user.

Created on Jul 27, 2016 11:47:19 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. Choosing "Use Windows credentials of parent device" solved the problem.

Created on Jul 27, 2016 12:24:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.