What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows 2012 R2 logging event 5612 - unresponsive servers

Votes:

We are running PRTG version 16.3.4470+ since the 20th of June. We have multiple servers (all W2K12 R2) with event 5612 in the Application Log.

Windows Management Instrumentation has stopped WMIPRVSE.EXE because a quota reached a warning value. Quota: HandleCount Value: 4101 Maximum value: 4096 WMIPRVSE PID: 2224 Providers hosted in this process: %windir%\system32\wbem\servercompprov.dll, %systemroot%\system32\wbem\cimwin32.dll, %SystemRoot%\system32\wbem\policman.dll

On multiple servers the servers have started to become unresponsive to RDP - logon via Idrac / VMWare console - we cannot stop/start services anymore. The only way so far is to power off the server completetly. (The server itself is running but unmanagable )

Event 5612 point to an overload/memory leak of WMI but we are checking our servers only for the status of some services and diskspace free space. (in addtion to Ping / RDP). So we have +/- 5 sensors per server.

We are running only one other product for inventory that uses WMI which is Lansweeper but that has not been upgraded recently.

I am not saying that PRTG is the root cause but we have never had 5612 events before June. They started to occur a week - two weeks after PRTG upgrade.

We just want to find a solution so these issues don't occur and we have to force the shutdown of an important server.

Not sure what I can do to find out the root cause.

event-5612 server-2012r2 wmi

Created on Aug 2, 2016 1:29:19 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Sven,

That's an interesting find you have here. We experienced indeed a few WMI related issues recently and are still working on further fixes for later versions. Please update to the most recent version of PRTG first and restart the WMI service on each affected host. Please let us know if you experience these issues after that.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 3, 2016 1:19:42 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Can you confirm the situation we have as a more common issue ? We have disabled WMI checks on our critical servers. We also so far have had the issue on W2K12 servers that did not have KB3146604 installed which was released in May 2016 and apparently fixes a WMI memory leak. But as I mentioned before, we haven't had the event 5612 until we upgraded from version 15 to the release mentioned above.

We are doing an upgrade of PRTG to the latest version today. Please keep us informed as this problem and if you need any more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 6:17:38 AM

Votes:

Hello Sven,

One other factor that could play a role is the System Information feature that got introduced with 16.x.24. It uses WMI queries to gather details for each device in PRTG like free space, running services etc. and displays them on a separated "System Information" tab on each device. These queries run independently from WMI sensors every 24 hours and every time PRTG has been restarted. This could be the reason why there is an increase in overall "WMI traffic" that triggers certain limits, though this limit seems to be configurable.

In case you continue to observe this issue after upgrading, please let us know.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 12:22:12 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, I have disabled this setting - we don't reallyneed all the additional information contrained in the "System Information" Tab.

Let's see if this fixes the issue.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 12:38:04 PM

Votes:

Alright, let us know how it went.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 1:03:15 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After updating to the latest version - and disabling the system information option in PRTG, we haven't had a single server issue anymore.

So either our PRTG server was behaving very bad after the previous upgrade, or the previous PRTG version had a pretty big bug related to WMI.

Please prevent issues like this in the future. It was very bad to have some of our production servers become unresonsive because of the monitoring tool.

Created on Aug 11, 2016 11:26:26 AM

Votes:

This morning the local probe of our PRTG installation was behaving weird. A lot of WMI sensors got a grey question mark - I restarted the probe and after a while most sensors came up again.

However we noticed that a server immediately after this happened got in the state that we had weeks ago. No RDP possible, no login directly through the vsphere console screen. (The logonscreen just hangs). So again no possibility to do anything but hard reset the server. We didn't need to do this for the last four weeks.

We immediately rebooted the PRTG server completely and will again be monitoring the status of our servers in the coming days.

I will create a Support Ticket for this problem.

Created on Sep 2, 2016 10:37:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.