What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Question about the CPU Load sensor

Votes:

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how the CPU load sensor work. For example I have set a threshold trigger to alert me when:

CPU is over 80% for more than 15 seconds.

My sensor polling is at every 60 seconds (default).

Does the PRTG Probe collect per second CPU usage to get the average WITHIN 15 seconds and then every 60 seconds (default polling) the server gets that average?

Or...

Thanks!

cpu-load perfmon prtg wmi

Created on Aug 2, 2016 3:10:22 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Please increase the time for these threshold triggers to at least 120 seconds. The scanning interval has to be smaller than the trigger interval.

That should also prevent PRTG from flooding you with notifications

Created on Aug 3, 2016 12:20:59 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

So there's no way for PRTG to notify me when I want to be notified to the following conditions:

CPU > 80% for 15 seconds ?

I was tasked to find tools that can do this. The reason is to find the times when CPU on a server is spiking at the above level, the servers are over spec'd for their purposes and never goes over 0.1% for more than 1 second. If it does the above conditions we want to know about, even if it's for 15 seconds in the hour and the hourly average is 0.1%.

If you have a counter argument about the necessity of this kind of monitoring please bluntly convey them as well.

Thanks

Created on Aug 3, 2016 2:37:55 PM

Votes:

Hello,

If you use the threshold trigger time 15 seconds, you will get a notification if the cpu value is over 80%, but the threshold trigger do not scan after 75 seconds if the cpu value is still over 80%. In order to avoid false positive notifications increase the time for these threshold triggers to at least 120 seconds.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 11:59:40 AM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.