What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is the concept of gMSA's supported in the latest version of PRTG

Votes:

Will be installing PRTG and would like to use a gMSA (group managed service account) account to run the Windows Service. Is this configurable through the installation or can the service have its logon user updated?

gmsa install windows-services

Created on Aug 2, 2016 5:48:20 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear JoshLafaveAC

The PRTG probe service uses the local system account. You can enter your gMSA credentials as Windows credentials into the device objects. This way the probe uses these credentials to log into the monitored computer.

Created on Aug 3, 2016 2:27:00 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would imagine the service can configured to use any Domain User account that the appropriate user rights. However when it comes to the sensor configuration will the password field expect a value? the gMSA password is not a known string by an Admin only the DC's and hosts that are allowed to retrieve the password.

Created on Aug 3, 2016 3:59:41 PM

Votes:

In that case, the GMSA probably can't be used within PRTG I'm afraid. You can try it with the username only as password is not a required field, but I'm unsure if this will indeed work :)

Created on Aug 4, 2016 9:55:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.