What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Probe/core handshake failed!

Votes:

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I want to install a remote probe on a hosting environment. We want to start using PRTG as our new monitoring tool on our clients servers and network devices.

I am kinda new with PRTG but I have seen enough to know how to install a remote probe on a server.

When I try to connect to our Management server via the web browser which has the Core server and local probe installed I can't connect. I get the message :

This page can’t be displayed.

Well, this is a not so strange issue, but : when I try to ping the website, from the same server, I get an reply. So I thought, if I take the IP adres which I got back in the reply, and put the port 23560 behind it, I might be able to reach the webpage. So I did, and it also came back negative. Same message : This page can’t be displayed.

So I tried to ping from my local machine, and I got another IP address back.

So I thought, what if I took that IP address and fill it in the browser on the hosting envorinment, maybe I would be able to reach the website. And I did!

The message I got was : There is a problem with this website’s security certificate. Ofcourse this would not be an issue since I trust the website because it is managed by our company. So I chose for Continue to this website (not recommended).

That's when the problem started, I got the message : ctOK¯:FúProbe/core handshake failed! This could be caused by incompatible software versions of core and probe. Please update the probe if this is the case. Another reason could be an invalid access key. Please check the respective settings in core and probe.ÿÿÿÿÅþÙÑSËä@

There is no PRTG installation active, there was one which I deleted, it was the freeware version and I do not know who installed it. After the uninstall I rebooted the server so there are no PRTG services active anymore.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm not sure if this is a PRTG sided problem or if it is a problem which occurs on our hosting environment.

Reason I'm asking this is that most of our networking engineers are having a vacation. I just wondered if there is anyone who has had this problem also, and if they were able to solve it.

If there is any more information needed I will try to be able to provide them.

Thanks in advance.

Robin S.

handshake-failure prtg remote-probe

Created on Aug 4, 2016 2:55:58 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

We need some more information from your PRTG (screenshots and log files). Please open a support ticket so we will continue troubleshooting there. Please refer to this KB article in the ticket.

Thank you

Created on Aug 5, 2016 11:04:22 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 5, 2016 11:04:32 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.