What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Few Questions Regarding Outbound Attempts from PRTG

Votes:

In our environment we restrict not only inbound connections but also outbound connections from Windows servers. While this can be cumbersome to get products like PRTG operational it also sheds light on certain circumstances when viewing the Windows Firewall log.

On the server hosting the Core Server and the Probe we have identified 3 interesting outbound attempts which we have correlated to PRTG (since this the only product installed on Windows 2012R2). Would any of the following be related to a process PRTG does out of the box?

1) We noticed Outbound Request to an SMTP Server on port 25. This was going to 216.58.192.196 which comes back as a google IP. We have configured SMTP to be routed to an internal SMTP server, so I am not sure why this continues, it would make sense if we were using the default SMTP relay option but we are not.

2)Port 80 Web traffic attempting to get to 52.84.243.131 which shows as AWS

3)Port 80 requests from both 23.15.7.161 and 23.15.7.113 which come back as Akami Tech which is a content distribution from what i know of it.

connection smtp traffic

Created on Aug 9, 2016 12:53:59 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

I'll check back with the developers to see if we have any info on that :) However, I'm not sure about the Google IP. Any mailserver or mail address configured that may lead to that address?

Created on Aug 10, 2016 10:53:24 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

AWS would be our CDN, which is used for the update distribution. We don't know where Akamai and the Google IP come from however :/ Could be a sensor of yours in either case...can you check that?

Created on Aug 10, 2016 11:52:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.