What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring disk I/O from storage clusters

Votes:

Hello!

I am working with Windows storage clusters, and I am wanting to monitor disk I/O for the cluster object. The issue I'm running into is that if monitoring using WMI Logical Disk I/O BETA or Windows Physical Disk I/O BETA, I run into the issue of the disk disappearing on the cluster object and alerting down. I'd like to be able to keep a solid monitor on the disk that the CSV lives on regardless of which node the cluster service is currently running on. Is there a performance monitor that I am missing that can accomplish this?

microsoft-cluster performance-counters storage

Created on Aug 10, 2016 6:32:58 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Do the disks appear in the metascan of the sensor and turn red after being created? What exact error do you get there?

Created on Aug 12, 2016 10:24:30 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan,

Disks sensors will usually create after the initial scan and stay green for some time, but will alert down randomly. Sometimes they will come back up, sometimes they won't. They will do this even if the cluster service hasn't switched nodes. I have had physical disk monitors both on the host node and on the cluster object before. Both will be green and show the same data, but then the sensor on the cluster object will alert down, while the sensor on the host node will remain green. I need to be able to have a continuous monitor of the clustered virtual disk and volume I/O regardless of whether or not the service switches host nodes, since sometimes the virtual disk will exist on one node and sometimes another depending on the status of the cluster object.

Created on Aug 12, 2016 12:36:15 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.