What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL Problem

Votes:

Hi,

We have a single Device with 35+ sensors monitoring different SSL certificate expiry dates. Now that this current ptfsensor sensor is being removed in the next version I have tried the new SSL sensor and am getting the following error. Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Socket Error # 11004 [Step 1] Socket Error # 11004 [Step 2] Socket Error # 11004 [Step 3] Socket Error # 11004 [Step 4] Socket Error # 11004

Do I understand that I cant do this now and need a single device/sensor setup for each SSL I'm monitoring?

As a test I have put one host on the Device but I get the same error so not sure waht the problem is.

Thanks Pete

http-ssl-certificate-expiry ssl ssl-certificate

Created on Aug 24, 2016 5:21:21 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Peter,

Basically yes, the sensor primarily directs its query to the IP/hostname configured in the parent device. The "SNI" field in the SSL sensor itself is for scenarios where like one host that houses several virtual webservers, each one with its own certificate, that's where this settings comes into play in order to check the correct certificate.

If you require further assistance, it would be best to enable "Write result to disk" in the sensor's "Settings" tab. With the next scan it will write one or several result-files into "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)" of your PRTG server (or on the Remote Probe if applicable). All files have the sensor's numeric ID in their filenames. The sensor ID can be found on the sensor's "Overview" tab. Please send us those result-files. In case of the SSL sensor, it will write several text- and certificate-files (the checked certificate and additionally each certificate from the chain) into the folder.

Send us those files:

• [email protected]
  • Paste PAE748085 into the email's subject. That way it stays "connected" to this thread and gets to me to further work on it.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 26, 2016 11:50:30 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.