What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't use DB WMI-checks with SQL2014

Votes:

Hi there,

we use 3 database-servers ... the first one runs SQL 2008 and I can do WMI-checks for locks and statistics without problems.

But when I add a similliar sensor for SQL 2014 on our SQL 2014 DB-servers, I get the following error message:

Classe not found: "Win32_PerfRawData_MSSQLSQLPROD_MSSQLSQLPRODLocks" (Code: PE235)

The DBs instance name is "SQLPROD", so I think that's the correct class.

Can somebody please help me?

Thanks!

Marcel

database sql-2014 wmi

Created on Sep 5, 2016 3:37:53 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Dear Marcel

Please use the WMI tester to run this query on the SQL 2014 server:

SELECT ServiceName,DisplayName FROM SQLService WHERE SQLServiceType = 1 

Please use this namespace for the query: root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement12

What output are you getting for "ServiceName"?

Created on Sep 6, 2016 2:00:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

can you please provide more Information regarding tht wmi-tester?

I entered domain, ip, credentials and password for a sysadmin-user, in advanced I check "custom" and enter the SQL Statement and the Namespace.

The output is 80041008 - one of the parameters to the call is not correct.

I guess there's an error with the Format of the credentials ...

Thanks again.

Created on Sep 6, 2016 3:16:04 PM

Votes:

Not I got it - the output for the servicename is MSSQL$SQLPROD - it's the same output as the sensor from PRTG automatically detects. But it still doesn't work on our productive servers.

By the way - I also found a SQL2014-testserver on which I can use the SQL2014-sensor without problems.

Created on Sep 7, 2016 7:07:14 AM

Last change on Sep 7, 2016 10:41:12 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Marcel

Since WMI is Microsoft's WBEM implementation, you can use the Wbemtester (included with Windows) to list all WMI classes. Please open the Wbemtester. Use the "Connect ..." option to connect to the namespace root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement12

Then please use "Enum Classes". Leave the superclass name empty, but select the "Recursive" option and confirm with "OK". It takes a while to collect all classes.

Are you finding the class in question, in32_PerfRawData_MSSQLSQLPROD_MSSQLSQLPRODLocks? If not, can you find a class with a similar name?

Created on Sep 7, 2016 11:10:06 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

sorry, I can't find that class. I get a list of 85 objects and for SQL I can only find classes named like SQLErrorLogEvent, SQLErrorFile, SQLServerAlias, SQLService etc.

Interesting - when I run this tool on the server with a working locks-WMI sensor, I do find the same classes but also not "PerfRawData_MSSQLSQLPROD_MSSQLSQLPRODLocks"

Created on Sep 7, 2016 11:48:43 AM

Votes:

Dear Marcel

In this case please check if there are any other classes which end on "Locks". You can also try different roots like \root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement10, 11, 12, 13 (these mark different SQL server versions.)

Created on Sep 7, 2016 3:54:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, can't find any classes that end on "lock" ... and entering any other root results in "invalid namespace"

Created on Sep 7, 2016 4:26:28 PM

Votes:

In this case, please contact us via [email protected] Please include a description of this issue, you can also add a link to this KB entry.

Created on Sep 8, 2016 1:16:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.