What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

NetFlow V9 - Live Graph volume/speed

Votes:

I am using a custom NetFlow V9 sensor and the live graph which is displayed is a huge confusion for me. In parallel I am using another software which is capturing and plotting sFlow data. Using iperf I could verify that this sofware is actually displaying bandwidth values extremely accurate.

However, the live graph from PRTG differs from this graph, so either your software does not display the correct data or I am interpreting something completely wrong. Let me ask a few questions:

What does the live graph actually show? In the table below there are two fields, volume and speed. I guess speed is simply volume divided by the time interval, but it is not. Example: Total (volume) = 829 KByte, Total (speed) = 113 kbit/s To calc the speed I would have converted volume to KBit, which is 829 * 8 = 6632 KBit and then divided it by 60 because my time interval is set to 1 minute: 6632/60 = 110.53 kbit/s. This is not the value which is displayed in the speed column, so could you please explain how the speed is calculated?

What does the coverage column stand for?

Another (offtopic) question: Why is PRTG always reloading the whole webinterface every now and then? This is really annoying because when you are making certain configurations or something similar you get thrown out of everywhere, no matter what you've already typed in or where you've already navigated. Is there a way to disable this without loosing timeliness of data?

Thank you for your answer.

live-graph netflow-v9 time

Created on Sep 8, 2016 9:19:21 AM

Last change on Sep 9, 2016 10:55:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello 2fb5e13419fc8924686,
thank you for your KB-Post and feedback.

I must kindly ask that you share a full-screen screenshot from your sensor's overview displaying said readings as this will allow us to better comprehend what you're referring to. Use the image upload/hosting service of your choice and link said screenshot here.

As for the automatic refresh of the web-interface, it happens every 30 seconds but you can use the "||" button (Close to "Refresh in XX Seconds" text) on the footer of the page to pause the automatic refresh on a given web-page.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 9, 2016 11:02:04 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Sep 9, 2016 11:02:10 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Did you get anywhere on this? I am seeing the same thing.

Created on Sep 12, 2017 6:15:41 PM

Votes:

Hello John,
thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid that we've never heard back on this case. If you're experiencing the same symptom, please elaborate and share screenshots of the issue.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 13, 2017 9:05:15 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.