What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog emails ?

Votes:

Hello, I am planning on moving my Sysloging from KiwiSyslog to PRTG. Previously I have been able to email myself certain syslog messages based on filters i.e. all the syslogs come in, I filter the ones I want to be notified about based on text strings and then have them emailed to me. How do I do that in PRTG syslog. Also, is there anything else important I should know if planning on migrating syslogging from Kiwi to PRTG ?

Thanks kindly for any help.

prtg syslog

Created on Sep 15, 2016 5:08:11 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear fran1942

Because of how our Syslog receiver sensor works, PRTG is not capable to put individual syslog messages in notifications. You can put the last 20 syslog messages (all 20 last messages, last 20 warnings or last 20 errors) using the according placeholders: %syslogmessages, %syslogwarnings, %syslogerrors.

As PRTG focuses mostly on traditional network hardware monitoring, there are some limitations to consider. You can manually search for recorded Syslogs via the "Message" tab, but a log export is not implemented. As of now, PRTG's Syslog sensor can only alarm on log bandwidth, you cannot toggle the alarm status.

Before you migrate, please setup a Syslog receiver sensor / notification sample and check if this covers your needs.

Created on Sep 16, 2016 1:03:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 16, 2016 1:29:55 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.