What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Netflow sensor greyed out

Votes:

Dear sir, madam,

recently we asked our Service Provider to set up netflow on their routers, so we could monitor the traffic. This service provider uses Huawei's Netstream protocol (basically "netflow").

We do see the traffic arriving at our remote probe with all the correct settings. I used the custom Netflow V9 sensor and initially had trouble with getting the data viewable from the sensor. The service provider turned netstream off and on and i saw the data in the netflow sensor. After an half our the sensor turned grey again. Since then i am not able to see the netflow data through the sensor.

All the settings are correct and even the settings on the SP router are correct (Otherwise an whireshark trace wouldn't see the data coming in to the probe server).

Could any of you help me, in to why the netflow sensors keeps displaying a greyed out question marked sensor state?

Kind regards Roy de Vrees

grey-sensors netflow netstream

Created on Sep 15, 2016 1:24:18 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Could you post a screenshot of the sensor configuration?

Created on Sep 16, 2016 11:20:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply Stephan.

My apologies for responding so late. Due to vacation i was not able to respond until now. Here is te requested screenshot of the sensor configuration: sensor configuration

Kind regards, Roy

Created on Oct 10, 2016 7:24:12 AM

Last change on Oct 10, 2016 7:50:23 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hm, okay, nothing wrong so far. Could you check the traffic with our Flow Tester to see if the packets are actually useful to PRTG? Remember to pause the sensor in PRTG (otherwise, the port will remain occupied by PRTG).

Created on Oct 10, 2016 7:52:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan,

Thank you for your reply.

Both the version 9 and 5 tester do not show any data being recieved. Which is strange, since the sensor has worked. Do you have any other suggestions?

Kind regards, Roy

Created on Oct 10, 2016 8:26:32 AM

Votes:

You might want to ask your service provider about that - maybe the corresponding service on the device crashed or they disabled something :(

Created on Oct 10, 2016 8:54:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.