What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error Message wit DFSR Custom Script - XML: Structural error in xml file, 2 open items. -- JSON: The

Votes:

Having the problem error message as per above with one of my server sensors. If I run the same sensor script against another DFS server everything works ok and PRTG reports the figures. When I manually run the script on an admin powershell session it returns the backlog values against most of the DFS shares but errors out when it comes to certain namespace shares such as domain.local\dfs\share Getting lots of powershell error messages which seem to point to a firewall or a WMI error but the FW is not running and I've also ran WMIdiag.exe and it has returned a status of all running. Some of the error messages are below and I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Have rebooted the remote server and also the PRTG server but the sensor still reports the same issue.

Error 1 Get-WmiObject : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML\Get-DFSRBacklog_V3.ps1:183 char:77 + $PartnerFolderEnabledWMI = Get-WmiObject <<<< -computername $Smem -Namespace "ro ot\MicrosoftDFS" -Query $WMIQuery + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], COMException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Write-Debug : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Message' because it is null. At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML\Get-DFSRBacklog_V3.ps1:242 char:36 + write-debug <<<< $BacklogCount + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Write-Debug], ParameterBindingValidationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteDebugCommand

Error 2 Get-WmiObject : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML\Get-DFSRBacklog_V3.ps1:208 char:71 + $InboundPartnerWMI = Get-WmiObject <<<< -computername $Rmem -Namespace "root\Mic rosoftDFS" -Query $WMIQuery + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], COMException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Error 3 Get-WmiObject : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML\Get-DFSRBacklog_V3.ps1:211 char:77 + $PartnerFolderEnabledWMI = Get-WmiObject <<<< -computername $Rmem -Namespace "ro ot\MicrosoftDFS" -Query $WMIQuery + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], COMException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Write-Debug : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Message' because it is null. At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML\Get-DFSRBacklog_V3.ps1:242 char:36 + write-debug <<<< $BacklogCount + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Write-Debug], ParameterBindingValidationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteDebugC ommand

json pe231 prtg

Created on Sep 19, 2016 2:11:07 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear cas

This seems to be a general issue with the script (meaning not a PRTG issue.) As remote WMI can be difficult to implement because of its complex nature, you might want to use local WMI only and send the results via the remote probe. As an alternative, you could try to utilize the HTTP Push Data Advanced sensor to run a script locally via a schedule, while the script posts the data via HTTP to a PRTG probe.

Created on Sep 20, 2016 11:25:01 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Arne. I have just being doing some more testing and it appears that UAC is the culprit and is causing these issues. Disabling UAC has resolved it. I will take a look at the local WMI push to PRTG info that you have given which will come in handy for some other WMI queries.

I appreciate your input and this question can be marked as answered

Created on Sep 20, 2016 11:42:06 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.