What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to give limited administration rights to a user or group?

Votes:

I'm administering a PRTG installation that's got to a point where I need someone else performing certain tasks but with limited permissions. For example, I would like to have nother user be able to add User Groups and Users, and give those groups permissions to read ONLY a certain sensor...but that user SHOULD NOT be able to modify PRTG Update settings, or supervision settings, or license settings, or any other settings, only Groups and Users. Is there a way to give limited rights to certain parts of the administrative tasks to a specific user or group?

administration groups permissions user users

Created on Sep 20, 2016 3:55:14 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear adr_ver

I am sorry, that is not possible in PRTG. An administrator account always has access to the entire setup. Being able to modify other users on the other hand requires administrator privileges in PRTG.

Created on Sep 20, 2016 5:25:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the quick answer. Just out of curiosity, do you think any sort of feature like that will be implemented in any future upgrade?

Created on Sep 20, 2016 5:37:32 PM

Votes:

Please don't expect this level of control in the foreseeable. As PRTG is now used more in more in large setups, we might need to expand the user right management for PRTG, but this is not something currently on our radar.

Created on Sep 20, 2016 7:13:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.