What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Monitor the RSL, TX and RS power of a trunk fiber interface

Votes:

Hi,

I am having an issue. I want to be monitoring the RSL, TX and RS power level of a trunk interface connected to a Cisco layer 3 switch on my network. I have tried different ways of doing that but none is yielding any result.

i can monitor the live traffic (ie Total traffic, traffic in and traffic out) on that interface. But i also want to be monitoring the RSL, TX and RS power also.

Do anyone have answer to these?

cisco rsl rx snmp tx

Created on Sep 22, 2016 1:20:40 AM

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 5:05:11 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello ibegbud,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Please check our built-in SNMP Cisco System Health sensor, while deploying the sensor several variants will be offered, including the "Cisco System Health Other". This variation of the sensor will display TX/RX power readings (if available/reported).

For rsl, you might have to check with Cisco or review the MIB's documentation to locate that property, you should be able to monitor it with a Custom SNMP Sensor if the information is available via SNMP.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 22, 2016 5:09:21 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 5:10:11 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.