What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Interface numbering

Votes:

I want to remove the auto numbering of the interfaces when I do an SNMP traffic sensor. I have the latest PRTG version, and I've double checked the registry that the DWORD has 1.
It still does the numbering. Why?

Here is the screenshot:
http://s18.postimg.org/mnw3sws3t/numbering.jpg

Here is the registry which no longer needs to be hacked:
http://s10.postimg.org/ffycpx2i1/auto.jpg

So why is the numbering still happening? And how do I turn it off?
thanks

interface prtg snmp

Created on Sep 22, 2016 2:26:33 AM

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 5:11:00 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello K4ze,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Are you referring to the number between parenthesis? (050), (051) ?

These actually refer to the interface's indexes and are controlled by the Port Name Template which can be defined within the SNMP Compatibility Options from the Root, Probe, Group or Device level, it will be inherited by child objects.

The default template is:

([port]) [ifalias] [ifsensor]

Remove ([port]) and you will stop getting the index between parenthesis in newly deployed traffic sensors. You can also enable the Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device to have existing traffic sensors "adjusted" to the new template.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 22, 2016 5:15:28 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.