What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Performance statistics not available for this entity!

Votes:

Best,

We have many sensors in PRTG. We also have VMware virtual machines monitored in PRTG. Randomly VM sensors go down with the message: Performance statistics not available for this entity! This happens to random VM's, so not the same one everytime. However, when i get this message I check our vcenter and theres nothing wrong with the VM's. After a certain time they come back online and show green.

How can I resolve this problem so i won't get the performance statistics not available message anymore.

Regards and thanks in advance,

Killaars

error error-messages performance prtg

Created on Sep 23, 2016 6:58:59 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

This usually happens when the resources on the ESX host are getting sparse. All performance left is then reserved to keep the VMs running. This will cause the API (or the daemons behind it) to go into hibernation, not delivering any stats anymore.

Best way to resolve this is to upgrade the hardware the ESX is running on :)

Created on Sep 23, 2016 7:23:23 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply.

I checked our ESXi hosts but resources enough are available. All of our ESX hosts are running on the half of there CPU and Memory, so i don't think the ESX host is the issue here.

Any other suggestions?

Created on Sep 23, 2016 7:37:47 AM

Votes:

You could try restarting the management agents as well: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

Created on Sep 23, 2016 7:57:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If the ESXi host is the problem, why does only 1 or 2 vm's go down with the message and not all vm's on that specific host?

PRTG is up and running for months, never had this problem and suddenly random VM's go down. Nothing has changed on the infrastructure or something and the esx hosts are also the same.

Tested the ESXi hosts but nothing wrong with them.

Created on Sep 23, 2016 8:05:42 AM

Votes:

Speaking with the developer of the sensor he said that this error will come up when the host does not return a value for the CPU usages. It may be that the time is out of sync between the PRTG server and the ESX host and PRTG is querying for a value that does not yet exist. Please check that both servers are on the same time when these requests fail.

This may also be the result of the sensors taxing the amount of connections available to the host. Please try taking a look at this article for allowing more connections to the device.

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/30643-how-can-i-increase-the-connection-limit-on-vmware-systems-pe121

Created on Sep 23, 2016 12:45:35 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.