What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto Registering/Pending Notification about HTTP Push Sensors

Votes:

I'm working with the HTTP Push Sensor and HTTP Push advanced Sensors. They are great to run the Code on the monitored machine and simply send the results to PRTG for storing and visualizing the data. The PRTG Installation load is lowered by not using remotePowershell, SSH or similar.

At the Moment i have to add the HTTP-Push Sensor in the configuration with a Token and also add that token to the Code on the remote machine. If a scripts sends an invalid token, i can only see that on the machine by a "Matching sensor = 0"-Result.

Is (or will) there be a way, to get an Information at the PRTG-Server about a "unknown" HTTP Push Sensor sending Data without a matching Object in the configuration. And maybe an easy way to add the Sensor to a device? Adding a Probe works like that. It would make things easier.

Frank

configuration httppush sensor

Created on Sep 25, 2016 7:22:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Frank

PRTG does not log un-assignable HTTP pushes, not even in the web server log. The script enacting the HTTP pushes should read the PRTG output to know if the result was received and assigned.

It is not directly possible to add sensors, but you can clone existing ones via the PRTG API. The API allows to access some (though, not all) sensor settings. Lets say the cloned sensor has the ID 2123. To give it a new token, an API call looks like

/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=2123&name=httppushtoken&value=my-new-token

The full API syntax is explained in the PRTG webinterface, menu Setup | PRTG API, tab "HTTP API" and "Object manipulation".

Created on Sep 26, 2016 2:14:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.