What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Fujitsu Hardware Monitoring - How to implement?!

Votes:

Hi @ all.

The problem or better the challenge isn't new but I try to implement a hardware monitoring for Fujitsu Server (Primergy's). It's a shame that paessler doesn't have sensors for it (why not??? does the oids are different on each kind of fujitsu server?) but it should work like the other vendors, like HP or IBM. The Hardware informationen can only read out of the fujitsu server if the serverview agents are installed and works fine (both are ok) or if a management card is build in (iRMC Card). The card is working fine to :) and now the problem: how can i get the correct mib's? I try google and the vendor homepage and find only this: SNMPMIBs.zip here: (http://download.ts.fujitsu.com/Prim_SupportCD/SVSSoftware/html/index_e.htm -> ServerView -> Integration Solution). The archive have about 190 Mib Files :( how can i find the correct, needed Mib/OIDs for a standard hardware/health monitoring of fujitsu servers?

Thanks for help :)

fujitsu hardware hardware-monitoring mib snmp

Created on Sep 28, 2016 5:12:36 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 18 or later

Monitoring Fujitsu PRIMERGY Servers with PRTG

As of PRTG Network Monitor version 18.2.40, you can now monitor your Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers via the integrated Remote Management Controller (iRMC) and SNMP out of the box! PRTG version 18.2.40 includes a new sensor type that shows you important information about your Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers.

The new SNMP Fujitsu System Health Sensor can show you the overall status, CPU status, memory module status, power consumption status, temperatures of various components, and more.

The sensor might also work on other Fujitsu devices that have an iRMC available like PRIMEQUEST servers, some storage systems of the ETERNUS product line, and CELSIUS workstations in racks.

Note: This sensor type is in beta status and may be subject to change at any time.

Created on May 25, 2018 10:03:24 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-Post. The best place to ask will be Fujitsu themselves. They should definitely be able to tell you which MIB is the right one for your particular server. They are the vendor. They should know.

best regards.

Created on Sep 29, 2016 10:45:08 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 18 or later

Monitoring Fujitsu PRIMERGY Servers with PRTG

As of PRTG Network Monitor version 18.2.40, you can now monitor your Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers via the integrated Remote Management Controller (iRMC) and SNMP out of the box! PRTG version 18.2.40 includes a new sensor type that shows you important information about your Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers.

The new SNMP Fujitsu System Health Sensor can show you the overall status, CPU status, memory module status, power consumption status, temperatures of various components, and more.

The sensor might also work on other Fujitsu devices that have an iRMC available like PRIMEQUEST servers, some storage systems of the ETERNUS product line, and CELSIUS workstations in racks.

Note: This sensor type is in beta status and may be subject to change at any time.

Created on May 25, 2018 10:03:24 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Are you going to implement RAID controllers (on Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers) monitoring? E.g. like for HP servers (one of the best sensor).

Created on Aug 6, 2018 8:36:09 AM

Votes:

Hello Konstatin,

We had already released sensor "SNMP Fujitsu iRMC RAID", but it's currently not shown in PRTG, because it requires a firmware update from Fujitsu in order to work properly. The firmware update is bound to be released in August/September this year. When this has happened, we will re-implement the sensor again in PRTG (PRTG 18.x44 or maybe 18.x.45, depending on when the new firmware is available).

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 6, 2018 12:30:39 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello

I tried to update 2 Fujtsu servers with Irmc firmware of september 2019, one of them (a RX2560M1) updated fine and the other (TXS300-S8) failed miserably to upgrade - this is NOT of course a Paessler problem but it could be of interest to other people to learn that such updates can fail, even if no crash followed.

However, and here is the problem with Prtg, Raid fails to show anywhere in the sensors generated with the new Fujitsu V2 sensor (PRTG Version 19.4.54.1506 ) on the RX2560 server. I have lot of stuff, Ram, Fans, Psu, CPU, even Irmc battery - this one shows a status 'unknown' btw - but NO Raid at all. Since having Raid information was the *main* motive for doing all that, it's a bit disappointing. The Raid information is available in the Irmc web interface.

Anything I could have missed ? Thanks.

Created on Jan 10, 2020 3:18:54 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Have you tried to create the sensors again and are they showing the same issue?

Kind regards

Created on Jan 13, 2020 5:43:28 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Marijan Horsky,

if I enter either 'Fujitsu' or 'Raid' all I can get in the new sensor window is Fujitsu Snmp health beta v2 sensor and upon selection of this item I don't get anything about RAID or any hard disk info

For information, the Fujitsu IRMC S4 version is 9.21F. And after checking on an original, not recent firmware version the RAID info is already there but it's minimalist, there is only one SMART info for each hard disk (correct/not correct), there is no detail (error counts), from a post I have seen on the Fujitsu forum it seems not easy to get SNMP info about RAID on Fujitsu servers.

Created on Jan 13, 2020 2:43:31 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Please check if the vendor of your device offers any MIB files that you can import with our MIB-Importer. If so, you can monitor the target with the SNMP Library Sensor.

Here's a Knowledge Base Article that describes the setup of SNMP Library Sensors: and there's also a video that shows how to.

Kind regards

Created on Jan 14, 2020 7:42:14 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well I have looked at the output of both snmpwalk and ipmiview, they look suspiciously similar and they both lack any disk info; so it seems that Fujitsu has given up on Snmp and jumped on the RedFish bandwagon; I have not been enable to get the data using Redfish, but the Fujitsu specific Rest API can get the hard disk status (not the low level info, it would be too good) but at least a global status indicator (operational/failed/rebuilding...) so it's enough for the customer. AFAIK Fujitsu does not give *any* way to get the low level info for disk, it's necessary to use the Raid card software (unsupported by Fujitsu) so there is not much hope oef better. I'd still try a bit with RedFish and if nothing works at this level I'd use the Rest Api.

Created on Jan 14, 2020 11:26:52 PM

Votes:

Still replying to myself, it seems indeed that for Primergy servers there is some link between - ipmi and snmp and - rest api and redfish Meaningful information about raid and disks can't be retrieved through the former, but it can be obtained by the latter (not necessarily better but newer) way. With URL;s such as the following:

https://192.168.45.1/redfish/v1/Systems/0/Storage/0 -> get status and architecture for adapter 0 (list volumes and drives)

https://192.168.45.1/redfish/v1/Systems/0/Storage/0/Volumes/0 -> Status and drive list for volume 0

https://192.168.45.1/redfish/v1/Systems/0/Storage/0/Drives/0 -> Model, size, health (and even predicted remaining life if the drive is a SSD) for drive 0

all this can be had in a Json format as per the Redfish spec.

No idea if such URLs would work with HP or DELL servers (for which Redfish is already widely used). So hoping for a fast solution by PRTG is certainly wishful thinking, I will fire up my Python in the following days to try to make a small RAID sensor so that we can finish properly this installation.

Created on Jan 15, 2020 10:58:14 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.