What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Uptime sensor

Votes:

Hi all,

It the uptime of a sensor calculated for the period of time that the sensor is added and receiving data, or based on another period. I don't mean the uptime-sensor but when I open detail of a sensor, I see info like;

Last Scan:57 s
Last Up:57 s
Last Down:32 d
Uptime:99.9993%
Downtime:0.0007%
Coverage:100%
Sensor Type:Ping
Dependency:iDRAC
Interval:every 60 s
ID:#9775

I want to build a uptime-reporting bu using the PRTG API want I want to have a good understanding how the uptime is calculated.

best regards
dave

api prtg uptime

Created on Sep 29, 2016 12:53:57 PM

Last change on Sep 29, 2016 2:45:44 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Dave

A sensor has coverage, and downtime. If there were no sensor scanning requests, then there is no coverage. That means it could be the case that a sensor with less than 100% coverage still has 0% downtime. Or vice versa, a sensor with 100% uptime might have less than 100% coverage.

The sensor status bar always shows global coverage/uptime/downtime, since sensor creation.

The downtime computation slightly optimistic: If there are two scanning intervals in succession in which the sensor is down, the downtime length is considered to be just one interval (the one between the two failed scans.)

Created on Sep 30, 2016 2:47:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.