What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Script output into mail - max length 255

Votes:

Hi,

I have a sensor(EXE/script) that runs a powershell script. This script formats some XML into quite some data and outputs it to PRTG with the Write-Host cmdlet.

When I include the output in one of the generated mails with the %lastmessage placeholder the message gets cut down to 255 chars. This is troublesome because I need a still picture of how the XML looks at the time the script is called.

So my question is: Is there some way I can get the entire output from a script into a PRTG-mail?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards Jens

255 256 length mail maximum output powershell prtg sensor write-host

Created on Sep 29, 2016 2:58:16 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jens

Are you referring to the HTML email subject line? In that case, the statusmessage will be shortened to 120 characters.

Created on Sep 30, 2016 2:36:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm talking about the body of the email. To my knowledge, the %lastMessage placeholder should translate to the last output from the script - correct?

But this seems to be shortened to 255 chars. So, is there some way i can get the entire output into the email?

Kind regards

Jens

Created on Oct 3, 2016 6:50:39 AM

Votes:

Dear Jens

Which kind of email are you using (HTML, text?) The standard HTML email shows the full sensor status message, not cut off after 255 bytes. If you experience a different behavior, please contact [email protected] including a description of the issue and illustrating screenshots.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 11:52:42 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi again,

I'm using the Text with custom content from the SEND EMAIL option in notifications. In the field Custom Content, when i write %message, I would expect the entire output from the script to be put into the mail. This is instead cut down to 255 chars. I experience the same with the HTML template.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 12:20:08 PM

Votes:

Dear Jens

The custom text email should also not cut the message. Please contact [email protected] including the aforementioned information and screenshots.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 12:51:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.