What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP trap notifications

Votes:

I setup a SNMP trap and I am collecting data but it is not triggering notifications. I have a filter for 1.3.6.1.4.1.30586.14.99 and an error filter of bindings[1.3.6.1.4.1.30586.14.99,0] so that it triggers on value=0 but I do not get notifications. How can I get the content of the SNMP trap to trigger a notifications if not by the filters? This trap is a binary value that I want to alert on an OFF or 0 result. Here is the exact filter as given from the filter text from within PRTG: (bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.99] OR bindings[=] OR bindings[0]) I have a second trap that is set to error on bindings[1.3.6.1.4.1.30586.14.75,0] and it does not trigger notifications either. I want to be alerted when the trap content is '0'. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

notifications trap

Created on Sep 30, 2016 11:28:32 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Dear tvc

The notification system of a PRTG trap sensor does not react to individual traps, instead the bandwidth of the particular traps (all messages, errors, warnings) since the last sensor scan is used.

You can use the include filter of the sensor to only evaluate the according traps.

The trap sensor has several channels. You can use those to trigger a notification if the number of traps per second exceeds a given value. If you want to change the sensor status as well, please edit the according channel limits and use a state trigger. Otherwise please add a speed trigger.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 12:36:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So I set the error filter to filter on a particular trap and had it set to down the sensor if there was an error. Shouldn't this generate a notification?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 2:39:38 PM

Votes:

It should - could you post your error filter and the actual message you expect PRTG to notify on?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 6:48:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So it set to error on this: bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.75,0]

and this is set:

When a Sensor Reports an Error: Set sensor to "down" immediately

but it never goes down.

I put the same thing in Warning and I get warnings which is a fine work around.

I was expecting to have it see the trap message above and report it as an error and down the sensor triggering a notification based on the down state here:

When sensor state is Down for at least 0 seconds perform Email me

I tried 1 second and 5 seconds with no change.

Again the Warning part of it works fine.

In the same vein what does the scan interval mean for the traps receiver? It is collecting traps every 10seconds but doesn't alert on them. Does the scan interval in the trap receiver mean something different than in the typical SNMP sensor?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 7:05:11 PM

Last change on Oct 3, 2016 7:10:33 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Could you try using this rule: (bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.75,0])

Does that work?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 7:11:05 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 3, 2016 7:11:17 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No change. The warning works with no parans and I tried a few different ways of entering filter data.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 7:45:29 PM

Votes:

How does this sensor scan interval work for the receiver sensor? I wonder if it is missing the error (although it is shown in the traps) and not being triggered. Is it scanning the receiver results only on that preset schedule?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 7:48:12 PM

Votes:

It's not missing it, it works with the push principle. As soon as a message arrives that applies to the filter, it will alert accordingly. What other filters do you have applied?

Created on Oct 3, 2016 9:15:57 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well I had only the error filter on but it wasn't working so I added it to warning where it was working. I have it in both places now. Just the single filter applied to the single device.

Include Filter

bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.75]

Exclude Filter

Warning Filter: bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.75,0]
Error Filter: bindings[SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.30586.14.75,0]

I want to alert on a value of 0.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 9:36:03 PM

Last change on Oct 4, 2016 7:54:15 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You don't need to put the binding in both warning and error. Could you try triggering some messages with snmptrapgen (http://scug.be/christopher/2012/09/) to see if the alert gets triggered? Note that the error will only persist for one interval. The sensor will be reset to up after every scan (that is if no further errors are received).

Created on Oct 4, 2016 7:55:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.