What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Group SNMP String Keyword Search variable

Votes:

Is there a way to set the keyword search for a group of endpoints to the same thing via a variable? For Example, I would like to use a software version check of my network switch that will show me a warning when they are not up to date. Now I would set the software version manually for a group. I'm just trying to not have to manually update all of channels for my switches. Currently I'm using a Custom SNMP String with and OID to gather my data.

Thank you.

custom-snmp-sensor groups string

Created on Oct 3, 2016 9:31:45 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

The thing is that the SNMP Custom String sensor display the string in the sensor's "Message" field and that's not something you can do much with in PRTG like running queries or comparisons against it.

One workaround might be to check it manually faster by running an API call, while selecting the sensors in question by a tag you need to apply before doing so: http(s)://your_prtg_server/api/table.xml?content=sensors&output=xml&columns=objid,name,message&filter_tags=@tag(swversion)&username=prtgadmin&password=prtgadmin

@tag(swversion) is here just an example. The tags needs to exist in those sensors already which you can apply by using Multi-Edit. This API call provides you with an XML you can open in Excel containing all those sensors including the content of the sensor's message. This should provide you with a quick overview about mismatches in versioning. API calls like these are limited to 500 objects, so in case you expect more than than 500 sensors in your output, you can append an additional parameter &count=* at the end.

Kind regards,

Erhards

Created on Oct 4, 2016 2:32:56 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.