What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP Data Advanced - null handling feature request

Votes:

I know the sensor is in beta. That said, I noticed that when a device does not report data for a channel in the sensor PRTG records the value as 0 instead of null. This greatly affect number averaging. In the HTTP PUSH DATA ADVANCE sensor, it does handle lack of data in this manner.

Thanks. Dwight.

http-advanced http-advanced-sensor null

Created on Oct 9, 2016 8:43:00 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear antinymldyls9e

The historic database of PRTG has no data value of null. If a sensor scan fails, the datapoint is not written at all, implying a null for the according scan. It is not possible to just set individual channels to null. Instead, zero is used.

Created on Oct 10, 2016 1:21:32 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 10, 2016 1:22:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I understand that this is how it currently works. That's why I titled this as a feature request. The sensor factory sensor handles compiling null data in this matter, but I presume it has significantly different underlying process.

Created on Oct 10, 2016 1:49:06 PM

Votes:

Allow me to be honest: Due to the architecture of the PRTG database, this feature request has no chance of getting implemented in the foreseeable future.

PRTG cannot write a partial sensor result into the data base. The sensor factory has no historic data of its own, the aggregated data is generated on demand.

Created on Oct 10, 2016 3:31:29 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.