What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG to query 3rd party API

Votes:

To sum up, we monitor 2 ships that have 3G (mobile) connections when they leave port.

Currently we are using a schedule to change when the ships go out of range.

This is proving to be problematic, as the logs in PRTG pause when the schedule is met.

What we are looking at is PRTG to receive an API call from www.marinetraffic.com with the ships that we monitor.

3rd-party api prtg

Created on Oct 11, 2016 4:28:06 AM

Last change on Oct 12, 2016 8:05:25 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello casey,
thank you for your KB-post.

Monitoring a ship with PRTG is pretty cool if you ask me. :)

Now, what exactly would you like to perform (API Related)?

• Would you like to pause a device/sensor(s) via PRTG's API? This can be done with /api/pause.htm?id=objectid&pausemsg=yourmessage&action=0
  • Would you like to PUSH custom data (readings) into PRTG? Please check the HTTP Push Data Advanced Sensor, also mentioned here and here.
  • Would you like to monitor a 3rd party API and display values in PRTG? Please check the HTTP XML/REST Value sensor (for XML-compatible) or consider creating your own script/sensor with the Exe/Script Advanced sensor. You could even implement this option and use an HTTP notification within this sensor to pause or resume other PRTG sensors.

Please let me know in more details what you're trying to achieve, and I might be able to come up with further instructions.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 12, 2016 8:04:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 30, 2018 10:03:30 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.