What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

reduce the size of Monitoring database

Votes:

How do I reduce the size of the Monitoring Database folder?

help redundancy size

Created on Oct 13, 2016 8:46:51 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-post.

By default, historic data (in monitoring database) are kept for 365 days. If you want to keep less monitoring data on the hard disk, you can change the automatic data purging limits: please click on "Setup -> System Administration -> Core & Probes", scroll down to "Historic Data Purging" and under "Historic Sensor Data" you can change for how many days historic data will be kept.

To generally save disk space, enabling the NTFS compression for PRTGs data directory is usually a good option. Because in modern Windows versions, this does not drain performance, but saves a lot of disk space.

Or move the data directory to another larger hard drive: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/543-how-can-i-change-the-data-directory-of-my-prtg-installation

Best regards

Created on Oct 14, 2016 11:07:09 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello! Can i change location of the PRTG database to Network share?

Created on Sep 28, 2018 9:36:06 AM

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

Please note that we strongly advise against PRTG files and database being stored on network shares.

We see frequently write/read locks and other performance issues that happen on installations whose configuration files and databases are on a network location. Due to the type of I/O PRTG is producing, there is a huge amount of individual read/write operations that can affect performance on network shares, so we strongly recommend to keep these files locally on the server.

Best regards

Created on Sep 28, 2018 11:47:39 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will windows Server 2012 R2 be considered a one of the Windows Versions that does not drain performance, but saves a lot of disk space? Thanks

Created on Sep 29, 2022 1:20:25 PM

Votes:

Hey,
Currently we don't see any of the windows OS like you mentioned.

Created on Oct 3, 2022 9:06:13 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.