What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device dependencies and pausing

Votes:

Should the dependent services on a different device be paused when the 'dependency' sensor is paused?

We have two trees of devices (Servers and Services). The devices in the Services tree will be dependent on a PING sensor for the server they are hosted on in the other 'Servers' tree. In other words, the set dependency for these devices will be on a different device.

However, when I'm doing maintenance I pause the Server PING sensor, but the dependent sensors in the Services tree are not paused.

Is this the expected behavior?

(I hope I explained that correctly!)

dependency device ping

Created on Oct 16, 2016 10:31:28 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear mhouston100,

Thank you very much for your request.
This behavior is correct. If you enable PRTG's maintenance mode for a single sensor, it will not affect (pause) dependent sensors. To avoid false positiv alerts you will also need to manually pause the sensors located on the 'Services' tree.
A dependency stops the monitoring of one sensor or a set of sensors as soon as a specific sensor is in Down status.

Should you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us or reply to this topic.

Best regards,
Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 17, 2016 12:34:33 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there any plans to change the behavior, or make it an option.

Our dependencies are getting pretty complex at the moment and the staff performing the maintenance may not be aware of all the dependencies when putting a machine in maintenance mode (fro patching for example).

Maybe I can log that as a feature request?

Created on Oct 17, 2016 9:02:22 PM

Votes:

Dear mhouston100,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, there are no plans to implement this feature at the moment. The only possibility right now is to manually pause the sensors.

However, we honestly appreciate your feedback. Please allow me to link how we handle your feature request.

Best regards,
Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 18, 2016 8:32:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Don't pause individual sensors, pausing the Group will pause all sensors beneath it in the tree. We typically pause the entire site "Group" for the maintenance window.

Created on Dec 16, 2017 12:32:47 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.