What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Generate report for devices without any sensors

Votes:

Is there a way to generate a report on devices that don't have any sensors associated with them?

custom-report device sensors

Created on Oct 18, 2016 6:20:59 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Why would you want to do that? There's nothing to report on ... ;)

Created on Oct 18, 2016 6:43:08 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Exactly! We have some people that are adding devices into PRTG that aren't on the network yet, and then they neglect to go back and rediscover them after they deploy them. I need a way to see how many we have that are out there in this state (I've found a few so far by accident).

Created on Oct 18, 2016 6:49:28 PM

Votes:

Ah, so you literally need a list of devices that have no sensors configured?

Created on Oct 18, 2016 6:51:53 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 18, 2016 6:53:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here you go, save it as Get-EmptyDevices.ps1 and run it on the PRTG server within a PowerShell window:

[string] $ConfigurationFilePath = ((Get-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core" -Name "Datapath").DataPath) + "PRTG Configuration.dat"
   [xml] $configuration = New-Object -TypeName XML;
         $configuration.Load($ConfigurationFilePath)

$Devices = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//device"))

$DeviceList = foreach ($Device in $Devices) 
{   

$Sensors = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//device[@id='$($device.id)']/nodes/sensor").Count); 

[pscustomobject]@{
        ObjectID = $Device.id
        Name     = $Device.data.name.Trim();
        Sensors  = $Sensors
        }

}

$DeviceList | Out-GridView

Will look something like this:

Created on Oct 18, 2016 7:21:21 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Khansen - Great question.

Stephan - Great answer. KB it.

I recently just setup PRTG for a company (number 4 and counting), and added many blank devices to get a better feel of the best structure.

It was only yesterday I manually went through every group looking for blank devices (luck I only have 200 devices so far)

You could adapt this to check all devices of a certain type have certain sensors (eg, all windows servers have CPU and disk sensors). Its not a good feeling to have a monitored server run out of disk space, only to find PRTG was only PINGing it :(

Created on Oct 18, 2016 10:46:49 PM

Votes:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the praise, kb'd it ;) You can sure turn this into a compliance checking tool, but that depends on the individual needs - I'd love to do it, but due to us being shortstaffed currently, that's not an option. I might look into it later (and by later I mean next month :D).

Created on Oct 19, 2016 6:38:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.