What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do I need one sensor for each port of every switch?

Votes:

In my network I have several switches that I want to monitor. However, I am wondering if I really need to create one sensor per port. What would you advise?

flows ipfix netflow packet-sniffing port prtg snmp switch-port traffic-monitoring wmi

Created on Oct 19, 2016 3:13:14 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16 or later

Considerations for Port Monitoring

Network hubs, switches, and bridges are (among others) integral parts in every kind of network. As the network size grows, also the number of possibly monitorable ports increases, most devices being multiport devices. This is why you might well ask if you should really create one PRTG sensor per port in your network.

Because networks can be arranged in many different ways and admins may want to focus on different devices or network parts, it is hard to give one valuable solution for all possible scenarios.

However, you can take the following points as an advice for your network monitoring setup.

Which Ports Should I Monitor?

• If your device is a core network component, create one active sensor per port. This allows you to always be up to date, to be informed without loss of time, to save your network data and to run reports for evaluation.
  • Generally, it is a good idea to always monitor active ports as well as CPU and memory of your device.
  • If your device is a minor network component, you can choose to not monitor actively every single port of your device. In this case, you can work with paused sensors.

Port Monitoring Possibilities

There are various PRTG Network Monitor sensors available to monitor ports. When it comes to traffic monitoring, various technologies are available. Please see this Comparison of bandwidth monitoring technologies first. It takes into account bandwidth monitoring via

If you already know what you need, check the available sensor types right away!

More

Created on Oct 19, 2016 3:21:10 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 10, 2024 1:30:35 PM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.