What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does PRTG create multiple SNMP Traffic sensors of one network card?

Votes:

I have created a device template based on the existing device created by Auto-Discovery. As I want to have the basic monitoring sensors on my device, I just created the template with Ping, SNMP Disk Free, SNMP CPU Load and SNMP Memory sensors for my device. But I actually deploy the new device from the template I created it also picked SNMP Traffic sensors like Ethernet Traffic, Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Traffic, Ethernet-WFP Native MAC Layer LightWeight Filter Traffic, Ethernet-QoS Packet Scheduler Traffic and Ethernet-WFP 802.3 MAC Layer LightWeight Filter Traffic sensors automatically added to my device.

• Why does PRTG add those sensors although I have only one NIC? And what is the difference between them?
  • Do we really need them for traffic monitoring with PRTG?

Thanks in advance.

devicetemplate network-monitoring snmptrafficsensor

Created on Nov 8, 2016 5:47:25 AM

Last change on Nov 9, 2016 6:42:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Tyla34,
thank you for your KB-post.

That's the actual NIC's that your operating system (the target device) reports. That's very common actually, for instance, this is the list of interfaces available on a system with 1 physical NIC and a Hyper-V switch (Required when using Hyper-V):

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1"Software Loopback Interface 1
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2"Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Adapter
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3"Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.4"Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.5"Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.6"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.7"Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.8"Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Adapter-Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Filter-0000
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.9"Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter-WFP Native MAC Layer LightWeight Filter-0000
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.10"Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter-QoS Packet Scheduler-0000
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.11"Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter-WFP 802.3 MAC Layer LightWeight Filter-0000
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.12"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM-WFP Native MAC Layer LightWeight Filter-0000

Every device will have at least one Loopback interface plus the actual Interface/NIC. But some operating systems (In this case) will generate several "hidden" auxiliary interfaces. The operating system's documentation will most likely tell you what these are.

You can usually manually "pick/identify" the relevant adapters, in this case:

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.6"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3"Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter

This name will match the "Device Name" displayed on the Operating System under "Network Connections". When using the Auto-Discovery PRTG avoids "non-relevant" interfaces by only adding interfaces which have traffic counters (IN/OUT) above 0. But in some cases these interfaces will also have accounted for traffic and will be added by auto-discovery. The other interfaces can be safely deleted/removed from monitoring.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 9, 2016 6:42:26 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Is it also possible create device template for future auto-discovery only with that two sensors instead of removing the rest manually?

Created on Nov 15, 2016 1:57:07 AM

Votes:

Hello Tyla34,
thank you for your reply.

Since the Traffic sensor dynamically scans for "active" interfaces, this is not possible. As soon as a single SNMP Traffic Sensor is added to the device template, PRTG will automatically scan for all "active" interfaces when doing the auto-discovery with this template. There's no way for PRTG to distinguish "real" for "logical" interfaces.

Best Regards, Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 15, 2016 9:05:39 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.